Friday, September 2, 2016

Separation of copper and nickel from coins

As I was reading about what metals our Swedish coins contain, I started wondering if it would be possible to extract them.

Going into this experiment, this is what I think I know: 
  • The Swedish coins that I'll be using, 1 kr and 5 kr, have a core of nickel and an outer layer of 25% copper and 75% nickel. 
  • A 50/50 solution of acidic acid and hydrogen peroxide will dissolve copper and create a copper acetate solution.
  • Nickel won't dissolve in acidic acid without the help of an electrical current
  • Copper acetate solution is blue.
  • Nickel acetate solution is green.
I prepared two containers with equal amount of acidic acid and hydrogen peroxide and put one coin in each.

After a few minutes a reaction was started and the surface of the coins started bubbling. I did start to notice a blue tint and after leaving it over night this color got stronger. 

If my assumptions are correct, this should now be a copper acetate solution from the copper in the coins.



Next I connected the coins, which by now should be mostly nickel, to a 9V battery and placed them in a beaker with only acidic acid. The reaction didn't take long to start and small bubbles began to appear.


After a little while, the solution started to look green so i can only assume that this is the nickel acetate forming. 


After a few hours, the green color was really prominent but unfortunately my battery had died. I decided to abort the experiment and see how the coins looked and as you can see, they were not very good looking anymore.



No comments:

Post a Comment